Animals fly safe with us
At Junkanoo Air, we know pets aren’t just freight – they’re family. Through our industry-leading service, Junkanoo Air provides safe transport of pets and other live animals from South Florida and throughout The Bahamas.
Animal Shipping Checklist
Bahamas Import Requirement
Careful planning is essential to ensuring a safe and comfortable journey for your pet or other live animals. Use this checklist to help prepare your shipment.
An import permit is required from the Ministry of Agriculture, Trade, and Industry (Nassau), for all animals being brought into the Commonwealth of The Bahamas. Applications for such permits (along with a $10 processing fee) must be made in writing to the Director of Agriculture, Ministry of Agriculture, Trade, and Industry, P.O. Box N-3704, Nassau, The Bahamas. For more information, call 242-325-7502 or 325-7509.
The application must be accompanied by a $10.00 processing fee for each animal and a $5.00 fax fee in cases where persons wish to have the permit faxed to them – money order or cash only. No personal cheques will be accepted.
For the U.S. and Canada, the following are the main provisions of the import permit as it applies to dogs and cats:
- The animal must be 6 months of age or older.
- The animal must be accompanied by a valid certificate which substantiates that it has been vaccinated against rabies within not less than one (1) month and not more than ten (10) months prior to importation for the one (1) year vaccine. For the three (3) year vaccine, it must be within no less than one (1) month and not more than thirty-four (34) months prior to importation into The Bahamas.
- The animal must be accompanied by a Veterinary Health Certificate presented within 48 hours of arrival in the Commonwealth of The Bahamas to a licensed veterinarian for an examination. The Permit Is Valid For One (1) Entry And Must Be Used Within One (1) Year From The Date Of Issue.
- Contact our offices to book your live animal shipment. We require a 48 hrs notification.
- Purchase an approved kennel well in advance of travel.
- Verify the animal can stand and sit erect, turn around, and lay inside the kennel without touching the top. We also recommend you familiarize the animal with its kennel.
- Verify the kennel has ventilation openings on at least three (3) sides
- Verify kennel has one (1) food dish and one (1) water dish securely attached to the inside of the kennel and accessible from the outside
- Place absorbent bedding (towels, blankets etc) inside the kennel
Day of Departure
- Fill kennel dish with water and freeze solid. Attach to the kennel before departing for the airport
- Bring original copies of required documents with you to present.
- Offer your pet only a light meal and little water within four (4) hours of flight departure
- Take along a leash to exercise your pet before check-in
- Arrive at least 60 minutes prior to the cutoff time to allow sufficient time to complete all inspections and acceptance procedures
Book your pet’s flight now